OK, so this dish is one of my absolute FAVES!!! I make it all the time, it is simple, quick and easy. Who doesn’t love that!? What I love most about this dish is how many flavors you get with each bite. A little creamy, a little spice, a little refreshing, it is PERFECT. 🙂 Spicy shrimp with avocado rice is the meal you want to make tonight!
To start make sure your shrimp is thawed. I like to use raw shrimp, it usually has WAY less sodium and I think it tastes better as well. I get it at Aldi in the frozen section! I like the bag that is already deveined, peeled with tail off.
Start your rice first, I like to use jasmine rice I also get from Aldi. The rice usually takes about 15 minutes so I start everything else during that time.
Heat your olive oil in a medium sized pan. Chop cilantro and set aside for garnish.
Cut your avocado in half, mash up half and set aside until rice is done. I have tried it with the whole avocado and it was just way too much, it didn’t taste right, you couldn’t even taste the rice, so unless you REALLY like avocado, I’d do half.
Now its time to place your shell and tail off shrimp into your pan, add your cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper onto the shrimp. Stir a bit to coat all of your shrimp. These will cook fairly quickly! So watch them close to be sure you don’t over cook them. About 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally and make sure to flip over a few times.
Your rice should be done, pull that off the heat, fluff a bit with a fork and stir in your avocado. Cut a lime in half. Use half of the lime to squeeze over your rice and avocado mixture. Place your rice mixture in a dish, top with your cooked shrimp and top that with cilantro. Add just a little squeeze from the other half of the lime over your dish! YUM!
Thats it! I hope you LOVE this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy 🙂
Spicy Shrimp and Avocado Rice
- 24 oz Raw Medium Shrimp
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 ts Cumin
- 1 ts Chili Powder
- 1 ts Garlic Powder
- Cayenne(to taste)
- Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Jasmine(white) Rice Per rice instructions yields 3 cups cooked
- 1/2 Medium Avocado
- 1 Lime
- Thaw shrimp in cool water, if shelled, de-shell and de-tail before cooking.
- Start your rice according to rice directions, usually takes about 15 minutes so start this first.
- Heat Olive oil over medium heat in stovetop pan.
- Chop cilantro if wanted and set aside.
- Cut avocado in half, mash half and set aside until rice is done.
- Place your de-shelled, de-tailed shrimp into your pan, add your cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper onto the shrimp.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring and flipping shrimp occasionally.
- Take your rice off heat once done. Fluff with a fork and stir in avocado. Squeeze half a lime over rice.
- Place your rice on a plate, top with shrimp and cilantro. Add a tiny squeeze of lime.